Go Back   AstroHolic.com > Astronomy Equipment > Binoculars

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2017, 03:05 PM
Newcomer

Trinidad and Tobago
Default Getting a new pair soon

It's been a long time since I've been on here but the night sky watching has not stopped. Looking to invest in a new set of binoculars soon. Going to check the available options tomorrow. I got a lot of good suggestions before, but if I would go looking for a nice pair, what general stuff should I look for?

(NB - The place has some nice ones but specifically for looking up? Apart from the advice already given to me...I've been told get coated lenses, maybe a 7x35? I'm not an options guy...)
Old 09-23-2017, 07:06 PM
The Venerable One (Administrator)

Australia

GDay Mate

First off any binocular is better than no binocular (unless you are me because I'm actually blind in one eye LOL!, and that's the truth)

Price point will be a biggie. You can pay very little or you can pay way way high prices, and of course you'll only get what you pay for, but having said that price point is not necessarily proportionate. A lot more bucks might only make a small gain.

Key Points: (if affordable)

1. Look for multiples of 5 or thereabouts in the mag v aperture ratio for the 5mm exit pupil. ie 7x35, 8x40 (8x42 is common) or 10x50

2. Consider weight. Anything bigger than 10x50 will be too heavy to hold steady freehand

3. Look for FMC (That's Fully Multi Coated) as opposed to MC (multi coated) or simply "Coated" There is a difference between the three, Coated just means that a lens each side is coated. Multi coated means that more than one lens is coated, bearing in mind that there are multiple lenses in a binocular, much like a camera lens. FMC means that most if not all lenses are coated. Coatings are important as they reduce light loss due to reflection. Bare glass will only permit a percentage of light to pass through, some will be reflected. The more coatings the more light gets through to your eyes

4. Look for a diopter adjustment. Very few people have both eyes exactly the same. A diopter adjustment will be a rotational adjustment usually only on one eyepiece, so that you can make a fine adjustment to compensate for variation between the sight of your two eyes

5. Once upon a time we recommended that for night sky observing that "Porro" prisms were the only choice. These days I really don't think it matters much. The quality of glass in the prisms in a binocular are light years advanced (Pun Intended LOL) to say even 10 years ago. Porros are binoculars that look like a "Classic" binocular ie the eyepieces are offset in relation to the objective lenses. The other type ie Roof Prisms look like the eyepieces are directly in line with the objectives. Roofs or Porros?: These days I'd go the lightest weight without any other concern re Roof or Porro and for that matter unless you want to spend huge amounts of money I wouldn't be too concerned over the type of glass used in the prisms or lenses, just as long as it is glass and not plastic.

Good Luck!

Incurable Refractorholic. EQ6 GoTo, GP2 and EQ3 mounts. EPs: 2.5 & 4mm Vixen NLV. 5, 8, 13, 17 & 22mm Vixen LVW. 30 & 40mm Vixen NPL.

"If a straight line is the shortest distance between two points, a circle is the longest distance between the same point provided the circle is big enough" - Sellar and Yeatman

Last edited by Vinnie; 09-23-2017 at 07:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinnie For This Useful Post:
DizzyGazer (09-24-2017)

AstroHolic.com > Astronomy Equipment > Binoculars

Register your FREE account today!