Go Back   AstroHolic.com > Astroholic.com > Beginner's Forum

Bookmark and Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2016, 07:32 PM
Newcomer

United States
Default My first experience with a telescope

I remember my first telescope and my first views when I took it outside. My telescope was a 2.5 inch refractor but when I saw the moon for the first time, I was in awe. I could not believe the detail I was seeing. I had never seen the moon that close up before (only in pictures). But I loved it and since then I have been hooked on the night sky and astronomy in general. My second scope was 4.5 inch reflector and with that I saw my first images of Saturn and Jupiter. It was so amazing to see the beauty that the night sky holds. I may no longer own or use a telescope but, I love looking at images online with more close up detail of the planets and even things I never got to see such as nebulas and meteor showers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Starchick681 For This Useful Post:
Jocko (11-18-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 04:30 AM
Administrator

United States

One thread here in the forum is Helpful Links

In that thread you'll find a number of really helpful programs, one of which is Stellarium, a superb application
that shows you the night sky from your location. It's a great application, and I often spend time just searching
the night sky from my desktop.

For looking at the Moon, there is a superb program called "Virtual Moon Atlas"

Living in the far Pacific NW, a clear night (or day) is a rare thing for the majority of the year, and when we
do get the best skies for viewing (Dec. and Jan.) it's colder than a well diggers patootie outside. (Living in the
tropics of Australia, Vinnie has no idea what "cold" is..)

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common
than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
alone are omnipotent." Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-20-2016, 07:44 PM
The Venerable One (Administrator)

Australia

Quote:
(Living in the
tropics of Australia, Vinnie has no idea what "cold" is..)
Actually I do, Mike, that's why I've been in the tropics for the last 25 years LOL!

Hmmm well first telescope, hey? Mine was a 40mm Trashco refractor (read Tasco, but don't get me wrong, some of the Tasco's of the 1960's were pretty good kit but this one wasn't) . It was a table top thing with a click stop on the straight through EP and had stops IIRC of 25x to 55x in 5x increments. The eye lens in the "EP" was about the diameter of a strand of spaghetti and to stop me bending my neck at impossible angles Dad made me a "real" tripod out of some old metal electrical conduit so that I could stand or sit in a chair to look through the straight through system. The beast cost about 20 pounds (read $40) which was about the average working man's weekly wage, and about half the price of a top quality baseball bat for which it would have been better used. ie it had a nice long metal tube and would have been a fine baseball bat, at half the price.

But......

Despite the fact that the Moon looked better through Dad's old binocular that I suspect he stole from the Army at the end of WW2, (it did have the well known D (arrow) D markings, which are the standard marks for property of the Department of Defense http://www.army.gov.au/Our-history/T...he-Broad-Arrow ) the little Trashco did let me see that Saturn indeed had rings. Unlike Galileo who first described Saturn as having "Ears" I could see a yellow fuzzy ball with a distinct and separate ring thing around it. Yay! One up on old Galileo Oh Yes!

Never looked back since, spent a lot of money, though.......... and to be honest I still haven't yet beat that thrill as a very little kid of seeing what Galileo couldn't through a lump of junk that could easily have served better a baseball bat

Incurable Refractorholic. EQ6 GoTo, GP2 and EQ3 mounts. EPs: 2.5 & 4mm Vixen NLV. 5, 8, 13, 17 & 22mm Vixen LVW. 30 & 40mm Vixen NPL.

"If a straight line is the shortest distance between two points, a circle is the longest distance between the same point provided the circle is big enough" - Sellar and Yeatman
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinnie For This Useful Post:
Jocko (11-20-2016)

AstroHolic.com > Astroholic.com > Beginner's Forum

Register your FREE account today!